We live in a time and age where everything is connected. Internet has become an integral part of our daily life. With the increase in adoption of devices and the needs of consumers becoming more demanding and sophisticated, businesses are focusing more towards digitization and mobility. This makes cyber security more critical than ever. Realizing the importance of cyber security, President Obama designated October as National Cyber Security Awareness Month, which was further administered by the Homeland Security.
Need For Cyber Security
The main intention of this step is to create awareness and educate public and private sector companies towards the importance of cyber security. At Appknox, it’s always been our top priority in providing peace of mind to businesses and developers, in making their mobile apps more secure, and alerting them to new vulnerabilities as they arise. This month, we will be focusing towards creating cyber awareness and educating everyone with a series of do’s and dont’s that will help in being safe and secure.
Do’s and Don’ts To Keep Yourself Secure
- Be aware while using public WiFi – Free WiFi in public places poses a major security risk as most airports and free WiFi hotspots in India are a hacker’s paradise owing to lack of proactive security.
- App permissions – When you download apps, you give them permission to let them access information on your device. You must be aware of what information the app is asking for, before you download it as some might access data that is not related to the app’s purpose.
- Use a combination of security tools – Have a comprehensive security option on your phone like antivirus, anti-malware, etc. We recommend app users to use a combination of security tools on their phones as we feel using these as a combination will enhance security for your mobile.
- Ensure your phone password is strong enough – Keep changing your passwords from time to time and ensure that you use different passwords for different programs and devices.
- Know your apps – Always make it a point to review and understand the details of an app before downloading and installing it. Ensure that you download the app from official app store only.
- [Bonus]Keep software up to date – Install updates for apps and your device’s operating system as soon as they are available.