There was a time apps brought a lot of value to smart phone, whereas today, within less than a decade of their existence in our lives, mobile apps carry a more illegitimate meaning than a useful value.
Being one of the easiest targets of cyber criminals, there is an urgent need for mobile app security tools to be used by the developers while they are in the process of developing their mobile apps.
According to a new study from app-security vendor Arxan Technologies, Google’s Android OS is the forum from which these hackers can collect all kinds of information about their owners. Andriod and iOS users are key targets for these cyber criminals, warns Mike Dager, CEO of Arxan.
The increase in security breaches is shown by both the platforms. Close to 100% mobile apps are getting hacked. What’s important to know is that mobile app developers can not afford to ignore any sort of vulnerabilities.
Here are 6 must known facts for the mobile app developers and users:
1. 97 of the top 100 Android apps were hacked during 2014. The slightly good news? It was 100 out of 100 in each of the previous two years.
2. Apple hasn’t fared much better: 87 of the top 100 iOS apps were hacked in 2014 — a huge rise from the 56% that were hacked during the previous year
3. 15 of the top 20 free iOS apps and 16 of the top 20 free Android apps were hacked during 2014. –
4. 14 of the top 20 iOS financial apps and 19 of the top 20 Android financial apps were hacked last year
5. Just 7 of top 20 iOS retail apps and 18 of the top 20 Android retail apps were hacked in 2014. –
6. 90% of the top 20 Android health care apps were hacked last year, but none of the top 20 iOS health care apps were hit.
Next time when you develop an app or download one, make yourself aware! Security is essential.